…The big meeting, a must read exclusive (See reasons)
By Binebai Princewill
As 2023 political dispensation approaches, political permutations are gradually taking the center stage in Delta State on who and which tribe succeeds His Excellency, Sen. Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, Governor of Delta State come 2023.
It was inline with this that critical stakeholders of the Ijaw ethnic nationality in Delta State converge on Saturday 22rd of May 2021 at the Broderick Bozimo Hotel, popularly known as BB Hotel in Warri to X-ray the political and economical life of the Ijaws since the creation of the state.
In his speech during the meeting, Alaowei Broderick Bozimo, convener of the Delta Ijaw 2023 for Governor consultative meeting briefed the gathering on the essence of the meeting.
The Ijaw elder statesman, Bozimo noted that following the political arrangements so far since the creation of Delta State, the Ijaw man has always supported other tribes massively for them to be Governors of the state, stressing that as leaders, they have watched and after due consultations have come to the conclusion that it is now time for an Ijaw man to be the Governor of Delta State come 2023.
Alaowei Broderick Bozimo, while making reference to the many sacrifices made by the Ijaws of Delta State in every political dispensation since the creation of the state, he had appealed to His Excellency, the Governor of Delta State, Sen. Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, the entire people of Delta North, the Urhobo, Isokos and Itsekiris to this time around come 2023 allow the Ijaws of Delta State to produce the next Governor.
He said while power belongs to God, the Ijaw people in Delta State have come to decide via the meeting that it is their turn to produce the next Governor, stressing that just as the Ijaws have been supporting others to become Governors in the state since its creation, it is now time for others to consider the Ijaw man as well.
On his part, Prof. Benjamin Ogele Okaba, President Ijaw National Congress (INC) Worldwide, had charged sons and daughters of Delta Ijaws to brace up with unity of purpose to face the task ahead, adding that the Ijaw Ethic nationality in Delta State cannot continue to play second fiddle, stressing that enough is enough.
He noted that an Ijaw man becoming the Governor of Delta State come 2023 should be non negotiable, explaining that the Ijaws in Delta are economically and politically viable and have contributed so much towards the growth and development of the state since its creation.
In his words: “There is a difference between what concerns someone and what worries someone, the Issue of an Ijaw man becoming Governor of Delta State come 2023 is something that worries me, INC under my watch will continue to work for its actualization”. Prof. Benjamin Ogele Okaba, INC President Worldwide.
Others who spoke during the meeting include Mrs Bamuza, Chief Daniel Ekpebide, Chief Boro Opudu, Hon. Oboro Preyor all urged sons and daughters of Delta State to be diplomatic and speak in one voice throughout the 2023 Governorship race, they expressed optimism that an Ijaw man will certainly become the next Governor come 2023.
High point of the meeting was the unveiling of Delta Ijaw 2023 For Governor T-shirts and the presentation of same to members of the high table.
The communique issued at the end of the meeting reads in full below:
DELTA STATE GOVERNORSHIP 2023
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF A CONSULTATIVE MEETING OF SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF DELTA STATE IJAWS HELD ON SATURDAY MAY 22, 2021 ON THE DELTA STATE GUBERNATORIAL ELECTION 2023.
Ijaw people of Delta State met on Saturday, the 22nd day of May, 2021 at BB Hotel and Suites, No. 32 Deco Road, Warri, Delta State to assess their socio-economic and political situation since the creation of Delta State in 1991 till date. The meeting was attended by political, community, religious, youth, women and student leaders from across the Ijaw Communities in Patani, Bomadi, Burutu, Warri South West, Warri South and Warri North Local Government Areas of Delta State. At the meeting, the participants OBSERVED as follows THAT:
- The Ijaws of Delta State have been active players in the socio-economic and political affairs since the days of Western and Mid-Western regions, Bendel State and now Delta State.
- Ijaw leaders were at the forefront of the struggle for the creation of Delta State from the defunct Bendel State.
- The Ijaw people have made huge sacrifice and contribution to the socio-economic sustenance of Delta State.
- However, despite the human and economic contributions of the Ijaws to the sustenance of the state, our communities do not have commiserate infrastructural development.
- The Ijaw people over the years have strongly supported other ethnic nationalities of the State to produce the Governor of Delta State.
- The meeting took note of the fact that Chief Dennis Osadebey of the present Anioma was the Premier of the defunct Mid-Western Region, when it was created in 1963 with Chief Jereton Marierie from Urhobo as Governor.
- In the present Delta State, the Ijaws massively supported the emergence of Olorogun Felix Ibru and Chief James Ibori from Urhobo ethnic nationality, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan from the Itsekiri ethnic nationality and Senator (Dr.) Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa from the Ika (Anioma) ethnic nationality as Governor.
- The meeting also noted that even though there was no agreement on power rotation, all the three senatorial districts have produced the Governor of Delta State.
Consequently, after critical and exhaustive deliberations, the meeting RESOLVED as follows THAT:
i. In the spirit of fairness, equity and brotherhood, we appeal to the other ethnic nationalities of Delta State to support a Candidate of Ijaw extraction to become the Governor of Delta State in 2023.
ii. The meeting urged Ijaws to work in collaboration with other ethnic nationalities in the State to achieve the resolution to produce the next Governor of Delta State because we cannot do it alone.
iii. The meeting commended Governor Okowa for his strides in the infrastructural development of Delta State and his vision to build a stronger Delta State.
iv. The meeting also called on Ijaws to continue to support the administration of Governor Okowa and urge the youths to remain calm and maintain the existing peace in the State.
- Alaowei Broderick Bozimo
- Chief Godspower Gbenekama
- Elder Edmund Tiemo
Some of the dignitaries that attended the meeting include Sen. James Manager, Dr. Braduce Amakazi Angozi, Hon. Nicholas Mutu, Rt. Hon. Frank Enekorogha, Chief Mike Loyibo, P. Y Biakpara, Hon. Emomotimi Dennis Guwor, Chief Edmond Tiemo, Hon. Frank Omare,Bishop Egbebo, Chief Amb. Sheriff Mulade, Prof Bariki Isaiah, Prof Victor Peretonmode, Dr Brodrick Tumbo, Chief Hon. Ebikeme Clark, Chief Ekomieyefa Uduboh, Barr. Eric Omare, Barr. Pereotubo Oweilaemi with the host of several others too numerous to mention.