Nigerian Army Arrests Soldiers Who Videoed Themselves Torturing, Brutalising Youth In Rivers State

Nigerian Army says it has arrested two soldiers who videoed themselves torturing and brutalising a resident of Port Harcourt in Rivers State, South-South Nigeria.

The video of the soldiers’ brutality shared by @Gidi_Traffic on its X account on Tuesday and seen by SaharaReporters, shows two soldiers beating a half-naked young man with belts in a room.

The brutalised young man in the 31-second video is heard shouting, “Abeg, I will confess” while the soldiers continue to beat and kick him with their boots.

@Gidi_Traffic who shared the video described the action of the soldiers as “cruel, barbaric and abuse of power”, calling on the military authorities to address the incident immediately.

He wrote: “The act of Soldiers of @HQNigerianArmy torturing this civilian yesterday in Rivers State and filming the same is highly cruel, barbaric and nothing but abuse of Power.
“This must be addressed Immediately! – @SamzyVG”

A statement signed by Lt. Col. Danjuma Jonah Danjuma, Acting Deputy Director, 6 Division Army Public Relations on Wednesday, disclosed that the soldiers had been arrested.

Danjuma said the 6 Division Headquarters of the Nigerian Army “viewed with utmost dismay the unprofessional conduct of two of its personnel involved in the brutality of a civilian in Rivers State, in a viral video making the rounds in the social media”.

“It is instructive to mention that the soldiers involved in that unprofessional conduct have been clearly identified and arrested,” he said.

According to the Division, the Nigerian Army remains a “professional force that conducts its activities in adherence to established rules of engagement and respect for the fundamental human rights of the citizenry”.

“Thus, no form of infraction would be condoned from erring personnel,” it said.

The statement further read, “The General Officer Commanding (GOC), 6 Division, Nigerian Army/Land Component Commander, Joint Task Force, South South, Operation DELTA SAFE, Major General Jamal Abdussalam has directed that a full scale investigation be conducted immediately. He has further reassured that no stone will be left unturned to sanction those involved.

“Well-meaning members of the public are encouraged to continue to provide credible information on such unprofessional conducts, as the Division is poised to be more responsive to the public. This is one unfortunate isolated case that would be expeditiously dealt with.”