By Binebai Princewill
Respective Ijaw leaders across different states have converged to declare their support to Hon. Henry Seriake Dickson, immediate past Governor of Bayelsa State ahead of the Bayelsa West Senatorial District bye Election.
The leaders speaking among other vital issues bedeviling the Ijaw nation highlighted the need why the former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson must be the next senator representing the Bayelsa West Senatorial District.
They particularly stated that Henry Seriake Dickson must and will be elected unopposed for a robust representation of the sensational district and the larger Ijaw ethnic nationality.
This was contained in a communique issued to newsmen recently in Yenagoa, a copy of which was sent to The Liberator Newspaper signed by Chief Frank Omare, Alhaji Asari Dokubo, Dr. Felix Tuodolo and nine other leaders of Ijaw nation.
The endorsement was made on the 27th of April 2020 after an exclusive meeting among the leaders.
The communique noted that following what the Nigerian nation is becoming by the day, the Ijaw nation will not trade such position with people that are not vast in the national politics, Ijaw matters and those who lacks experience to be given such an opium task.
The group said after xraying all those that are vying for the position and after taking a critical evaluation on Dickson both as a former house of representatives member, Governor of Bayelsa State, his political antecedents as well as his service to the entire Ijaw nation stands him out as the perfect man for the job.
The communique also called on other Ijaw patriots, business tycoons and other critical stakeholders to que behind Dickson as he remains the best and only option for the Ijaw people.
The communique reads in full below:
A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF A ONE DAY CRITICAL SESSION OF MEMBERS OF THE PATRIOTS OF THE STRUGGLE HELD ON THE 27TH DAY OF APRIL, 2020 AT YENAGOA TOWN ON THE FORTHCOMIMG SENATORIAL ELECTION OF THE BAYELSA WEST SENATORIAL DISTRICT.
Following the 14th of February, 2020 swearing in of the duo of Senator Douye Diri and lawrence Erudjakpor as Governor and Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State respectively, the Independent National electoral commission (INEC) declared the two senatorial seats vacant necessitating the electoral commission to begin preparations for a bye election to fill the above seats
1. We have in this regard xrayed the many aspirants who have indicated their interest to represent the district and have taken the pain to evaluate each and everyone of these aspirants, their background, educational qualifications and political persuasions as well as their belief in our undying IJAW STRUGGLE. However, given the present unstable and unpredictable nature of our National politics viz a viz the growing National discourse on the shape of the Nigeria’s democracy given the many unpleasant developments of security concerns, environmental challenges and the issues of fiscal federalism and devolution of power .
2. It is in the light of the above mentioned realities that this political cum social group as major stakeholder in the larger ijaw CAUSE consider it imperative to take these steps to guide and ensure that our corporate interest as Ijaw Nation and a people be given its proper place in adequate representation.
3. That it is also in the interests of our people to find a character whose personality equates such significant National assignment to drive and place our issues above board and have the capacity to build bridges across the various political blocks and find voices of similar persuasion to protect and project our larger aspirations as a people in the Nigerian project .
4. That such a character must be a man of such legislative experience to hit the ground running and use his influence and contacts to give us such universal and impeccable representation that sees the entire ijaw Nation as his constituency.
5. That such a man must be one whose knowledge of our corporate issues must be deep and has the political will and sagacity to muster appeal from fellow colleagues in driving our cardinal objectives on the floor of the Nigerian Senate.
6. That further to the above, such a character must have equally participated in our cultural organization’s given the role of our flagships; the Ijaw National Congress (INC) and the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) in giving impetus to our collective drive for the emancipation of our people from the clutches of deprivation and marginalisation.
1. 7.That in view of the above mentioned realities, it is hereby resolved that all patriotic sons and daughters of Ijaw Nation should support and project His Excellency, Hon Henry Seriake Dickson who has been a pillar of support to all Ijaw people irrespective of our artificial boundaries .
8. And that this decision is unbiased and springs from the above expectations and his overwhelming performance as a former member of the house of representatives for five years and a Governor who served our people for eight years which has given him the much needed requisite experience.
9. That as a member representing the good people of Sagbama/Ekeremor federal constituency,His Excellency Hon HS Dickson was a voice that was heard conspicously on matters affecting our people . His deep legal and political knowledge was brought to bear and saw him cause major positive changes to his federal constituency .
10. That as Governor of Bayelsa State, he ran a government which saw inclusion of our brothers from Ondo, Delta, Akwa Ibom and Rivers States in governance without any segregation. That this exemplary leadership demonstrates his passion and core leadership values that shows he is and still a patriot to our noble cause as a people .
11. That it is on record that as a Governor he became the leading voice in the call for re-structuring of the Nigerian State, true federalism and the devolution of power to the component units for a greater people oriented governance. This role made respected senior citizens of our great country to rally around him as a leader of trust for this national progressive cause.
12. That as Governor, his legacies in health sector reforms , education , environment,justice ,road infrastructure and youth empowerment is unprecedented till date.
13. That given the above, it’ is our considered submission that the people of Sagbama/Ekeremor federal constituency should see his election beyond party lines and a further call to duty and one which is seen as an Ijaw project critical to our collective goal as a people.
14. That we further call on all sons and daughters of Ekeremor local Government to respect our historical understanding of rotation in the Senatorial district and allow their Sagbama Kit and kin to produce the Senator to complete the remaining term of His Excellency Senator Lawrence Erudjakpor to further cement this political decision for unity, cohesion and progressive politics.
We therefore call on his Excellency to contest the Senatorial election while appealling to all IJAW PATRIOTS TO STAND WITH HIS EXCELLENCY HON HENRY SERIAKE DICKSON AND ELECT HIM TO THE SENATE UNOPPOSED TO CONTINUE TO FLY THE IJAW FLAG.
CHIEF FRANK OMARE
DR FELIX TUODOLO PIONEER PRESIDENT (IYC)
ALHAJI ASARI FMR PRESIDENT (IYC)
JOHN JONJON OYINFIE FMR PRESIDENT (IYC)
ENGR UDENGS ERADIRI FMR PRESIDENT (IYC)
BOBOLAYEFA OWOUPELE FMR CHM (IYC)
CHIEF GODWIN ADOKEME FMR CHM (IYC)
ALFRED KEMEPADE FMR SECRETARY GEN (IYC)
BAR JEREMIAH PEREKEME OWOUPELE ESQ FMR SPOKESMAN (IYC)
CHIEF WILLIAMS MKPA FMR AUDITOR (INC)
CHIEF DON DONYEGHA
CHIEF PAMOTEI WASUOTEI