The alleged Chairman elect of ancient Letugbene Community in Iduwini Kingdom, Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, Mr. Morrison Fazi has petitioned the Joint Military Task Force (JTF) operating under the code Operation Delta Safe to stop meddling into the Community’s internal matters by intimidating and oppressing the people. The Liberator Newspapers Worldwide can report.
The petition emanating from the Magna Pax Law Partners that is allegedly writing on behalf of their client, Mr. Morrison Fazi, Chairman Elect, Letugbene Community in Bayelsa State had called on His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari, Commander-In- Chief of the Armed Forces, Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya to call his men to order.
The protest letter had accused the JTF of acting illegally under the whims and caprices of one Mr. Abraham Buku who is said to have lost out from the chairmanship contest, stressing that even if there are issues in the community, it has a traditional ruler or community head that will resolve such matters if any, adding that the JTF should not play to the gallery of some people.
The letter from the law firm reads in full below:
MAGNA PAX LAW PARTNERS
54B Customs Road,
The Chief of Defence Staff,
Plot 1092, Mohammadu Buhari Way,
Area 7, Garki, Federal Capital Territory,
22nd December, 2021
INTIMIDATION AND OPPRESSION SPONSORED BY MR. ABRAHAM BUKU THROUGH THE JOINT TASK FORCE (JTF) AGAINST MR. MORRISON FAZI AND THE ENTIRE MEMBERS OF LETUGBENE COMMUNITY OF EKEREMOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF BAYELSA STATE.
We are Solicitors and our services have been retained by Morrison Fazi, the Chairman elect, Community Development Committee (CDC), of Letugbene Community in Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, and who shall herein be referred to as “our client” and on whose firm instructions we raise this petition as follows:
- That the positions of Community Development Committee (CDC) Chairman and other offices are usually installed bi-annually and the positions rotate on quarter to quarter basis within the Letugbene community. Also, whenever a position rotates back to a particular quarter, that position rotates from family to family, either by election, selection or on the basis of a sharing formula as preferred or adopted by the members within that quarter. Consequently, where a position is zoned to a particular quarter, it is the members of that quarter that are saddled with the responsibility to determine which family or which individual occupies the position in question.
- Where a person or group of persons are selected pursuant to paragraph 1 above, that individual and other selected members for various offices/positions will be presented to the community, and the community in turn will make a pronouncement on their emergence and present/introduce the selected persons (Exco members) to the community, firms and institutions operating within the community. That by the age-long practice of the Letugbene Community, each Community Development Committee Exco is expected to function for a period of two years after which another set will take over from them on the 2nd of January bi-annually.
- That the CDC chairmanship position for the 2022 administrative year was zoned to the Aketekpe Quarter/Compound, which is made up of five families. In the course of the process of selection/election of the CDC chairman, 4 aspirants emerged from the said 5 families of Aketekpe Compound. Consequent upon their emergence, the leaders and elders of that compound met, consulted and resolved that Mr. Morrison Fazi, our client, of Odin family within the said Aketekpe quarter be allowed to occupy the chairmanship position on the basis that his family has not benefitted or occupied any position in the community leadership.
- That consequent on the emergence of our client, one Mr. Abraham Buku who had in the past occupied leadership positions in the community, became aggrieved by the decision of the elders and leaders to have Mr. Morrison Fazi, our client as chairman of the CDC, and has approached the Joint Task Force (JTF) to be inviting and intimidating natives and members of the compound and community in respect of our client’s emergence as CDC Chairman, which more or less is a domestic affair of the family/compound and community.
- Consequent on the above, our client has instructed us to invite you to apply the instrumentality of your good office to investigate, and restrain Mr. Abraham Baku and his agents or privies from using the JTF or any other state institution to oppress or intimidate members of the Letugbene Community over the domestic affairs of the community.
- It is our client’s instructions to inform you that his emergence as the CDC chairman of the Letugbene Community was based on the approval of four out of the five families that makes up the Aketekpe quarter. In the same vein, his emergence did not inspire violence or security challenges that would warrant the intervention of the Joint Task Force. In any case, if any dispute arises from the selection or emergence of our client, the community has a Clan Head who is in a better position to resolve issues relating to the Community Development Committee and not the JTF. It is against this backdrop that we crave your indulgence to intervene by calling on the JTF to refrain from interfering in core community and customary affairs of the people of Letugbene Community.
Thank you for your prompt consideration of this petition.
Wariebi Egberipou, Esq.
For: Magna Pax Law Partners
- The National Assembly
Federal Republic of Nigeria,
Three Arms Zone,
Federal Capital Territory,
- The Commander,
Joint Task Force (JTF) Headquarters