A COMMUNICAQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF AN EXTRAORDINARY MEETING OF AYAKOROMO YOUTHS IN DIASPORA HELD ON SUNDAY 8TH NOVEMBER, 2020
Ayakoromo Youths in Diaspora (AYD) is a body majorly concerned with the development of Ayakoromo town in Burutu Local Government Area.
The body has decided to write His Excellency, Dr. Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa after holding an extraordinary meeting with the absolute trust and confidence in the ideologies of his administration, giving the state a facelift in the area of infrastructural development especially.
As a body civilly oriented, we have resolved as follows:
1. We appreciate the Executive Governor of Delta state, Dr. Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa for the appointment of Ayakoromo sons and daughters as Board Members, SSAs, and SAs.
2. We appreciate His Excellency, Dr. Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa for inheriting the Ayakoromo bridge project and as well start work on ait. Sincerely, it is a rare political culture or tradition of successive governments to inherit and continue projects of past administrations. Your interest in the Ayakoromo bridge project got our hope and confidence high in your government.
3. That your interest in this economically-valued bridge project was first made known in your electioneering campaigns in 2015 at Kiagbodo, the traditional headquarters of Ngbilebiri-Mein Kingdom of which Ayakoromo constitutes the cardinal population. We would not forget the furtherance of this promise at a Town-Hall meeting and campaigns, all at Burutu in 2019. Your words in quote, “I will link the riverine and urban communities via the Ayakoromo bridge”.
4. Having given appraisal of the bridge project so far, Ayakoromo Youths in Diaspora (AYD) frowns at:
(i) the slow pace of work done on the bridge project. It rather gives us the interpretation that Gov. Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa has partial interest to complete the project.
(ii) the amount of money approved for the contractor to work with in bits as pronounced by the government, and how much is received by the contractor from the said amount counts in descripance, that is, the received amount is always lower than the said amount.
(iii) the impression that the bridge project is of no economic value to the state as peddled by some political loyalists. These persons are external enemies to the progress and development of Ayakoromo community. It is very unhealthy and unscrupulous of such impressionists.
The bridge will connect the riverine to the urban environment (Burutu, Bomadi, and Ughelli LGAs) thereby increasing the Internal Generated Revenue (IGR).
(iv) the unfiltered given about the level of work done on the bridge project, hence His Excellency during the 2021 budget presentation pegged the level of work done at 70%. Check item 72 in the budget. Alarmingly, our inspection shows not more than 45% work done. We want to warn those political miscreants misinforming the governor to desist from doing so.
5. On the issue of flood, ravaging the riverine communities most especially Ayakoromo, we want to appreciate His Excellency for bringing succor to the flood victims of Ayakoromo via relief materials. We want to implore Mr Governor to look into the annual flooding which leaves the people with negative impacts. It will be good to curb this menace permanently by piling the waterfront above the river level and sand filling the town.
Conversely with all sense of seriousness and respect, we want to plead with Dr. Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa to determinedly complete this most important project in the second quarter of 2021 as contained in the budget. We as well call on His Excellency to inspect this project himself so as to have firsthand information. Moreover, Ayakoromo Youths in Diaspora (AYD) beseeches His Excellency to match his words with action.
Comr. Miens Brialade
Ag. President of Ayakoromo Youths in Diaspora (AYD).