By Binebai Princewill
The group who says the communique was issued shortly after the end of what they described as a crucial meeting at the Eliko Hotel, Ekpan In Uvwie Local Government Area of Delta State yesterday stated that they could not watch and seat idle while the Ijaw nation is in quagmire.
Speaking on the group, the communique noted that members of the group comprises all past leaders that have served in different capacities in IYC that are from the Zone.
The youth leaders particularly noted that it is only in unity that the Ijaw nation can move forward, admitting that the once vibrant Ijaw Youth Council has been reduced to a voiceless organ owing to the different factions.
Speaking further, the group also appreciated the effort of Chief A.K Horsefall by bringing both presidents together to reason as one in order to kick-start a transition process that will be devoid of factions.
The communique reads in full below:
A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF A critical MEETING HELD BY IYC WESTERN ZONE YOUTH LEADERS OF THOUGHT (IWZYLD) ON THE 22ND OF JANUARY, 2020 AT ELIKO HOTEL EFFURUN/WARRI.
The IYC Western Zone Youth Leaders of Thought is a collection of Youth leaders that have served in various capacities in the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC), with the aim of ensuring a peaceful and united IYC National convention that is void of faction, that will produce a credible, competent 8th National Executive Council(NEC).
After exhaustive delebrations on issues afftecting the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) , we resolved as follows:
(1) That after a reflective look for the past two years plus, the Ijaw nation has been domant because of the factional nature of the council, the crises has caused the Ijaw nation tramedous setbacks.
(2) That we want to sincerely commend and appreciate Chief A.K Horsefall for bringing the two factional IYC leaders ( Barr. Eric Omare and Barr. Oweilaemi Pereotubo together for a peace process. Therefore, we call on both leaders to consolidate the peace process already initiated by Chief A.K Horsefall for the interest of the Ijaw nation.
(3) In the Spirit of unity, we advised that Barr. Oweilaemi Pereotubo should suspend his
proposed Constitutional convention, because of the timing and current crisis in Council.
(4) That Barr. Oweilaemi Pereotubo and Barr. Eric Omare should jointly call for a National unity convention to nominate and inaugurate the eleco in order to start the transition process.
(5) That we call on all Ijaw Youths to support the unity transition to produce a unified national executive council for the intetest of Ijaw nation.
Signed: For IYC Western Zone Youth Leaders of Thought:
** Comr. Okporu Ebi Augustine JP
** Hon. Penakeme Emezeh
** Comr. Peter Atima
** Comr. Powel Agbale
** Comr. Ebis Moni
** Comr. Napoleon Kenerekedi