There is a looming trouble beween Host Communities in OML 42, Warri South and Warri South West Local Government Areas of Delta State and the managements of NPDC/NECONDE AMT JV, operators of the OML over lingering deprivational issues.
The Host Communities have issued a 14 days ultimatum to the managements of NPDC/NECONDE AMT JV to urgently address these pending issues before it the expiration of the ultimatum, stressing that failure to do so will lead to a complete shutdown of oil exploration activities in the area.
The communities under the aegis of 0ML 42 Host Communities Forum issued the 14 days Ultimatum via a press statement signed by the trio of Chief Samson OyimiHon. Shedrack Otuaro and Amb. Billy Ekele on behalf of the host communities, a copy of which was sent to The Liberator Newspapers Worldwide yesterday.
However, the OML 42 Host Communities Forum is demanding that within these 14 days period, NPDC/NECONDE AMT JV should address the issues of the Field Memorandum of Understanding (FMOU) with the OML 42 host communities, the issue of contracts award to OML 42 host communities, Payment of Scholarship arrears awarded to OML 42 host community students in post primary schools and tertiary institutions and other key issues.
Meanwhile, the Host Communities have called on the Chief of Army Staff to call his men to order during the looming protest, stressing that they have no other option than to protest as NPDC/NECONDE have ignored all letters and attempts to discuss these issues with the host communities peacefully.
The statement reads below:
NEGELECT / REFUSAL OF THE OML 42 HOST COMMUNITIES BY NPDC/NECONDE, AMT JV, TO HOLD MEETING FOR COMMENCEMENT OF FIELD MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING (FMOU), CONTRACTS, SCHOOLASHIP, EMPLOYMENT AND OTHER RELATED ISSUES FOR DISCUSSION
We, the undersigned for and onbehalf of the OML 42 Host Communities of Odidi 1, Odidi 2,Egwa 1 & Egwa2, Batan and Jones Creek Oil and Gas fields, Hereby sincerely and vehemently wish to issue NPDC/NECONDE AMT JV OML 42, fourteen (14) days ultimatum for their refusal to honor their letter dated 13th April 2021, and our reminder of previous letters written to your management for the commencement of FMOU discussions which you have vehemently refused, dated 30th of April, 5th of August and 20th of August 2021 respectively, all proved abortive.
Therefore the OML 42 host communities in an emergency meeting have resolved and have no option but to issue your management 14 days ultimatum to resolve the following issues as stated below.
1. The Field Memorandum of Understanding (FMOU) with the OML 42 host communities, which your management has refused to commence meeting from 2020 till date.
2. Address the issue of contracts award to OML 42 host communities.
3. Payment of Scholarship arrears awarded to OML 42 host community students in post primary schools and tertiary institutions.
4. Employment of managerial staff from OML 42 host communities into the management of NPDC /Neconde.
5. Since inception of NPDC/NECONDE no Developmental projects has been executed in the OML 42 host communities.
6. Establishment of skilled acquisition centers in the OML 42 host communities.
7. Payment of contractors high profile debts from 2017 to 2021
8. Payment of outstanding FTO’s, MOU’s, O&M and other financial entitlement due OML 42 host communities.
OUR STANDS AS FOLLOWS:
1. Failure to address the issues itemized within 14 days shall lead to complete shutdown of operations of OML 42 fields.
2. Furthermore, we call on the Chief of Army Staff to call his men to order while the OML 42 host communities are agitating for their legitimate right in order not to intimidate the members of the host communities,
3. We wish to remind the law enforcement agencies and government authorities, in view of our previous protest letters written to various concerned authorities/ stakeholders for notification/intervention, eg Nigeria Army, Effurun Barrack, 3rd Battalion, Commissioner for Oil and gas Delta State, Commissioner of Police, Delta State, DSS, ETC, all prove abortive.
Signed for and on behalf of OML 42 host communities
Chief Samson Oyimi
Hon. Shedrack Otuaro and
Amb. Billy Ekele
Nevertheless, in our bid to get a balanced reportage on the ultimatum, when contacted a top ranking official of NECONDE in order to hear their own side of the story, the source who would not want his name to be mentioned asserted that the company is working hard in ensuring that the issues between the host communities and the company are resolved.
He maintained that the company is really bothered about the host communities, appealing that the company be given some time to put up mechanisms in place to tackle the issues.