We give President Igbifa 48hours to reverse appointment or be ready for a showdown
By Binebai Princewill
Trouble seem to be looming in the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) Worldwide over alleged duplication of offices by the 8th President in Council, Dcn Peter Timothy Igbifa.
On their part, the Western Zone Clan Chairmen Forum had on Tuesday issued a communique at the end of an emergency meeting signed by the trio of Thompson Fuludu Mienkebena, Chairman of all Clan Chairmen in Western Zone Clan Chairmen’s Forum, Godspower Erekake, Secretary as well as Amakiye Ekaye, leader of the House, a copy of which was sent to The Liberator Newspaper.
The Western Zone Clan Chairmen Forum had particularly called on the 8th President of council to within 48hours reverse his appointment of a legal adviser and other appointments that allegedly relates to offices occupied by other Western Zone national officers in the 8th executive council of IYC Worldwide.
They particularly noted that the duplication of offices is unnecessary and uncalled for in Council, stressing that the Igbifa leadership should have focussed more on activities that will keep council united instead of allegedly embarking on activities that may tear council apart.
The group reiterated that if at the end of 48hours President Igbifa fails to address the issues raised in their communique, they might be forced to stop recognizing him as the president in Council and would stop him from entering any part of Western Zone.
The communique reads in full below:
A COMMUNIQUE REACHED AT AN EMERGENCY MEETING OF IYC WESTERN ZONE CLAN CHAIRMEN FORUM ON THE 15TH OF SEPTEMBER 2020
1. The IYC Western Zone Clan Chairmen Forum frowns at the President of Ijaw Youth Council Comrade Peter Timothy Igbifa for the one Man Goverment he has been running from the inception of his administration contrary to his promise to run a united and inclusive government. He should remember that Executive Members were elected same as him and he is only first amongst equals in the National Executive Council.
2. We frown at the incessant duplication of offices by the President Comrade Peter Timothy Igbifa via appointment to reduce the powers of elected officers as it is generating rancor in Council, and making it seem like the elected National Excos are incapable to carry out their functions.
3. We are in particular angered by the appointment of Igbeta Ayibakuro as Special Adviser on Legal Matters to IYC Worldwide as there is no such office in the Constitution and we have a duly elected National Legal Adviser in the person of Comrade Obiri Ebilade Esq., someone we gave our mandate to and have deep confidence in to discharge the duties of a legal adviser.
4. We call on the Central Zone Leadership to prevail on Igbeta Ayibakuro to disassociate himself from such appointment as he has already served his three years as legal adviser unhindered and should not allow his personal greed to throw Council into turmoil.
5. That our three National Offices from the Zone should not be tampered with in the guise of any appointment as it will be resisted by the forum to the last breath.
6. Conclusively we give the President 48 hours to retract his ill motivated appointment of a Special Adviser on Legal Matters to IYC Worldwide or we will be forced to recognize our National Officers alone and bar the President from coming anywhere near the Western Zone.