•Adopt Okowa, PDP candidates ahead of elections
A group, operating under the auspices Delta Ijaw Youth Movement, DIYM has yesterday urged the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC and security agencies across the country to jettison any idea of militarizing Ijaw communities during the Saturday’s elections.
This was contained yesterday in a press statement made available to newsmen by the national leadership of the group, Comr. Jackson
Agbor, Coordinator and Comr. Okporu Augustine (JP), Secretary General, a copy of which was sent to The Liberator Newspaper.
DIYM had in the statement frowned at the role of the military during the presidential and national Assembly elections at Rivers, Bayelsa and parts of Delta States, warning that such intimidating tendencies must never be replicated during the forthcoming governorship and house of assembly elections.
The Ijaw group had particularly charged Deltans to come out in their numbers to vote for Okowa and all other PDP candidates across the state.
While calling on Deltans to come out en masse to vote, DIYM had particularly tasked INEC to conduct a free, fair and credible elections.
However, the duo of Agbor and Okporu had in the statement cautioned Ijaw youths in the state to distance themselves from any form of political thuggery.
The statement reads in part bellow:
At the end of an exhaustive meeting held on the 3rd of march, 2019 at Okpokunuo Town in Burutu local government Area of Delta to review the political happenings in the Ijaw Nation, the leadership and entire members of Delta Ijaw Youth Movement hereby resolve as follows:
1. That we condemn in totality the killings of our Ijaw brothers that was master minded by the APC in Rivers and Bayelsa State respectively. We will not allow that in Delta State.
2. We are calling on the military to stop intimidating and harassing our Ijaw people just as they did during the last election in Warri North Local Government and other Ijaw communities.
3. We call on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to be professional in the discharge of their duties to conduct free, fair and credible elections in Delta State.
4. We are fully aware that the APC in Delta State as led by the likes of Chief Great Ogboru, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan as well as the National Chairman of the APC Comrade Adams Oshiomhole have perfected plans to mobilize persons from neighbouring states, like the rainbow group led by one Tony Kabaka from Edo State with the sole aim of fomenting crisis to disrupt the voting process in the riverine communities of Burutu ,Bomadi,Patani,Warri South West,etc. In this connection,these factional leaders also approached some of us -Ijaw Youths for this evil plot, which we turned down.
5. Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan and the Ijaws of Delta State
It is shocking to note that the immediate past Governor of Delta State, Dr.E .Uduaghan,who enjoyed the loyalty of Ijaw people,for eight( 8) years in furtherance of the rotation policy in the governance of Delta State, could be part of such a sinister plot to disrupt the noble zoning policy that has brought equity ,justice and peace to the state ,a practice himself has been a great BENEFICIARY of more disappointing is the fact that he could plan to harm Ijaw people to further his ignoble,selfish and vindictive political agenda against Sen.Ifeanyi Okowa, who unlike himself,picked an Ijaw son as Deputy Governor as well as Director -General of his campaign, in addition to constructing roads in the riverine communities in Ijaw territories , which Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan could not do for eight(8) years.
We want the federal ,state governments and indeed the international community to be alerted that Dr.Emmanuel Uduaghan’s activities are a clear and present danger to the peaceful coexistence of the Ijaws and Itsekiris , and he should be called to order ,’ to avert the political and economic devastation that a resumed war between the Ijaws and Itsekiris is bound to create.
6. Vote of Confidence on His Excellency Dr.Ifeanyi Okowa
After reviewing the various policies and programmes of the governorship candidate in Delta State as they affect the Ijaw nation,the leadership of the entire members of Delta Ijaw Youth Movement resolved to endorse Sen.(DR.) Ifeanyi Okowa for a second tenure .Hence, we call on all Ijaw sons and daughters to vote for him massively and defend their votes and repel all evil machinations of the APC, a party of hunger,injustice ,division and confusion.
We use this medium to call on all Ijaw Youths in Delta State not to allow themselves to be used as political thugs in the forth coming elections . We equally urge all our community Youth leaders to mobilize all the Youths to be on red alert to confront and repel any stranger in fake military men in uniform before , during and after the 9th Mach Elections. Let the APC leaders use their children for the dirty job, but count us out.
Comr. Okporu Augustine (JP)